Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Post Tour Tidbits and Trip Home

As some of you know, my trip unfortunately ended on a sour note when my car was burglarized during my stop in Las Vegas and my bike and all my cycling gear and camping gear were stolen. It cast a dark cloud over the whole trip and I haven't been up to adding the last entry on the blog but its time to move on....so.... here it is.

After the tour I was blessed to spend another fun week with Dick and Karen...and Justice and Gracie... which was a real treat but went too fast. Enjoyed the trips to the dog park! Got to visit with Katie one afternoon and  Megan just happened to be in town for a meeting so got to see her too!

Went to lunch with Aileen and Orlan at the Eatery and spend an afternoon reminiscing about the old days and catching up on Doug, Steve and Kathy which was fun.

Also got to spend a very special day with Uncle Lyle and Aunt Iris down in Shickley "The Big Little Town"!  I hadn't been there for years! Where do the years go?? Lyle and Iris are some of the more "senior" members of the community now. Got to get back again soon!
A lot had changed but some things were the same. A lot of great memories of spending time with Lyle and Iris when I was growing up! The old home place really looks nice and Lyle had the yard looking nice and plush and green!
Shickley's a still a thriving small rural town unlike some of its neighbors that Lyle showed me. They're in the process of building a nice new big community building and the school is thriving and everybody knows everybody... a far cry from life in California!
I got there just in time to see Lyle and Iris do their volunteer work with the kids reading to them at the library which is a really nice facility. Then we went across the street to Dawg's Cafe for lunch. A pretty cool old building with the old really high ceilings. Then I got to spend some special time reminiscing with Lyle while he drove me on a tour past the old farm stead, the cemetery, the new church and a lot of Filmore county. Got to see an ethanol plant too.
After the tour we went back to Shickley where Iris had home made ice cream with chocolate and strawberries waiting!!! (I like mine plain!!)  What a SPECIAL TREAT!!!! Iris said it was for old times sake!! What great memories I have of that! In the old days we used to make it the old fashion way by hand cranking! A lot of work but boy did it taste good when it was done. I always thought it tasted better because of all the hard work we put into it but this ice cream was out of this world! Yum Yum Yum!!!! They gave me one tip they learned from their new mixer...do not...do not add water to the ice to get it started. Makes all the difference. Got to get that recipe!

Finally got to see cousins Pat and Lyla when we had breakfast at The Egg and I. Dick, Peggy and Dale were there too. After pictures Dale took us on a tour of all the new developments in the Haymarket area... pretty impressive. Afterward Dick and I took in the farmer's market.

It was tough to leave...Lincoln will always be "home". I packed my memories, my frozen Runzas and Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing and took off for California on July 1. Got to beautiful Dillon Lake that evening and camped out. In retrospect wish I'd spent more time in Colorado. I love the mountins!
(Didn't make connections with Andy in Denver...next time!) The next day I drove all day and got to Las Vegas. Stayed there on the evening of the 2nd and the 3rd. Unfortunately when I was checking out on the 4th I discovered my car had been burglarized.

I'm still looking for another bike and looking forward to the next tour! Also looking forward to coming back for the NU football game against UCLA! GBR!

No comments:

Post a Comment